Break out the balloons and (fashionable) party hats, people, because this little bouncing baby blog of ours is officially 52 weeks old! It’s amazing how much can change in 12 months and this week on the blog, we’re each taking a stylish stroll down memory lane and looking at our year of growth.
There it is, you guys. The very first photo ever published on this blog of ours, almost exactly a year ago today.
It’s hilarious to me to look at this photo now, as it’s basically a how-to list of how NOT to dress like Jess. Let’s break it down:
- Neon colors. No thank you. If there’s one thing I’ve learned I do not appreciate on my body, it’s bright colors.
- All stretchy fabrics. I’m not into the tees and stretchy jeggings thing these days – just a little too casual for me anymore.
- Uncuffed skinny jeans. Seriously. What.
It’s funny how staring at hundreds of photos of yourself forces you to take stock of what works and what…. totally doesn’t. I’ve learned a lot over the past year about what I prefer and how I want to present myself. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t buy the t-shirt in pink just because you don’t own a t-shirt in pink – colors aren’t Pokemon, and you really don’t have to catch them all if you don’t want to. It’s ok to pick a few colors and style that you truly love and base your whole wardrobe around them. For me, I’ve seen my style settle into three distinct trends over the past year…
- Neutrals. I love ’em, they love me back, we truly ARE happy together. Black, white, gray, camel, navy, cognac, I’ll take them all.
2. Textures. Smooth, silky, chunky knit, shiny, yasss. My personal Pinterest board is chock full of leather jackets layered over cable knit sweaters with distressed jeans. I always find I’m most unhappy with my outfits if they are head to toe one texture – especially if it’s knit.
3. Plaids and riding boots… with an honorable mention to polka dots. I am, hands down, a fall person. I am CLEARLY the most at home when I’m pairing plaid and boots. I may not be rocking them now when it’s 90 out… but from the second September starts til the snow melts, I’m all about that life.
I’m excited to see where the next year of blogging takes me… and my closet!