Quick show of hands, who here has tried some sort of beauty subscription box? Now who here has WANTED to try one, but never pulled the trigger? I fell into the later category for… well… years, actually. I had a lot of hesitations – I didn’t want to fall in love with products that would have to be purchased online, I was worried that I wouldn’t use most of the samples. If I’m being totally honest, I was worried I wouldn’t even know HOW to use some of the samples they would send (makeup pro, I am not).
Enter: the Sephora Play Box. I’m an accidental Sephora junkie (I was sthocked when I hit VIB status in December – I blame my fierce Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment habit), so when they announced they were doing a beauty box, I decided it was finally time to try it out. I’m on my second box so far – before I dive into the pros and cons of this service, let’s take a look at what I got in my May box:
So all told, that’s 6 (or 8, depending on how you’re counting) samples.
Let’s start with the cons:
- The samples are small. They’re similar to a regular or deluxe sample you’d get with a standard online Sephora order.
- This service is fairly new, and I think they’re still trying to find their groove – last month’s box was in a cute box (this month was a bag), and had fewer samples. So, there may be some inconsistency while they work stuff out.
- There’s a wait list to join.
And now, the pros:
- The price is on par with other boxes ($10/month).
- The samples are of products I can buy in store – which means that I can head into a store and try other colors of that awesome Bite lipstick I got to sample.
- The samples (at least in this box) are almost all thing I actually WANT to use.
- The product guide is very thorough – this box had three themes (lips, skin, and hair), and explained how to use the products.
- And just in case THAT wasn’t enough, see that card on the front of the product guide? That is a Play Pass, which is good for one “FREE one-on-one tutorial” for “advice that’s all about you”. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet (since I literally just got the box on Monday), but that definitely gives me zero excuses for not using the products due to my own lack of knowledge.
So overall, I would DEFINITELY recommend this box – at least for a month or two. It’s cheap, the products included are great, and come on – who doesn’t love Sephora? I say hop on the wait list (boo…) and give it a try!
It’s Kitten tested, and Dog approved!